Thursday, October 22, 2015

Day 2- My earliest Memory

Day 2 of my 30 day writing challenge is about my earliest memory:

I can still remember it like it was yesterday, Dolly our dog was laying lazily on the living room floor, cartoons were on our black and white 3 channel television. The weather was beautiful. It was a bright, hot day in the middle of summer. The time of day was mid-afternoon. My brother Michael, My sister Marti-Ann and I were watching cartoons when we heard the Mr. Softie Ice cream truck playing it's music coming down the street. Mike and Marti asked our mom, who was in the kitchen if they could have some ice cream. The thought I was to young to get a whole ice cream for myself.

Mom smiles, gets her wallet and takes us kids outside to flag down the ice cream truck. Mr. Softie was in front of the neighbor's house when we went outside. The whole time we were waiting our turn Mike and Marti would tease me that I wasn't getting any ice cream. Mom didn't stop them from teasing me which made me sad. I was wondering why she didn't stop them from teasing me. Mom is keeping us close to her because we were standing in the street behind other neighbor kids and their parents waiting for our turn. Finally it is our turn to get ice cream. Mom asked Mike what he wanted and he excitedly shouted "VANILLA". Mom laughed then told the friendly ice cream man she wanted a small dish of vanilla ice cream. The ice cream man gave my brother a small dish of soft serve vanilla ice cream in a paper bowl with a red plastic spoon. Next Mom asked Marti what she wanted and she replied quietly "chocolate". The ice cream man gave my sister a small dish of chocolate the same way my brother's ice cream was. Mike and Marti  are standing there taking spoons of their ice cream waving it in front of my face before eating it saying " We got ice cream and you don't."

Mom does not ask me what kind of ice cream I wanted, she asked him for a butterscotch sundae, then pays for the ice cream. After he takes the money, he makes her sundae with a lot of  soft serve vanilla ice cream in a clear bowl that is small at the bottom and wider toward the top. He puts a lot of butterscotch sauce over the ice cream, top it with whipped cream and a cherry with the stem still on it.  He puts a red plastic spoon in the mound of ice cream before handing to Mom and thanking her for her purchase. We all walk back over to the house and go inside, the whole time my brother and sister continued to tease me. Once inside Mike and Marti sat on the floor in front of the television with their ice cream and Mom sat down in the living room on the chair with her sundae. I was the saddest four year old in the world at that point, or at least that is how it felt to me at the time. I was sitting away from everyone pouting when my mom called me over to sit on her lap.I go over to her still frowning about not having any ice cream. Mom helps me onto her lap, asks me to hold the sundae for her for a minute. I take it from her and it was cold on my little hands but I wasn't so sad any  more. I enjoyed spending time with my mom. She puts her arm around me, gives me a one armed hug, takes the spoon out the ice cream and eats it. She puts the spoon back in the ice cream takes the cherry off the top and tells me that butterscotch sundaes are her favorite. She then asks me if I want to taste it, I smile then say "yes, please". Mom takes another spoonful out the bowl I was still holding and fed me the spoon of ice cream.

She asks me what I thought of the ice cream. I told her it was good. Mom says "I'm glad you like it because I am full. You eat the rest" I couldn't believe it I had a whole sundae to myself minus the two spoonfuls mom ate. Mike and Marti looked upset over me having a butterscotch sundae when all they got was a small dish of ice cream. As mom walked past them to go to the kitchen she told them " Aren't you glad she isn't teasing you like you did her". Ever since that day whenever the ice cream truck came around and they asked for ice cream I didn't get teased anymore. Instead they were upset because they got a small dish of ice cream of their choice and Mom always got me a butterscotch sundae.


No comments:

Post a Comment